Do you recognize any of these symptoms:
- Resentment for having to do everything in your small group?
- Deep wish that someone else would step up and help with the group?
- Fatigue at the thought of having to prepare next week's small group time?
- Irritation that everyone in the group is willing to let you do it all?
- Running out of gas trying to think up serving ideas and then getting group members to sign up?
- Frustration that no one else ever wants the group to have evangelism projects or help with any of the studies?
Any or all of those symptoms are indicative of owner-itis.
The problem is that you probably agreed to host the group and then figured that you were supposed to do everything. One thing led to another and now here you are, suffering and wondering. Well, we have good news for you. Owner-itis is curable.
It starts with taking Leader Training 1 (LT1). If you have taken it then you must have skipped over this part. Take it again. If you haven't taken it, take it the next time it's offered. The cure you'll learn about is to share ownership of the group. You enlist the others in your group to faciliate meetings, bring desserts, champion PEACE projects in the group, figure out where the group can serve, organize the group fun activities, and get people deeper in worship. Yes, that's right. You don't have to do all of those things.
In LT1 we'll even give you a free gift of "Don't Lead Alone," which is a great 6 CD set that makes it easy for you to share ownership.
Does that sound like relief?